Tuesday, April 15, 2008

State of the Blog

I've been more than lax about posting here lately. Here's some highlights on how things are going in various games, in as much as they affect me.

Warhammer: Still not in the beta. It's not looking promising to get in anytime soon, which is a shame, because I'd really like to ride this wave of enthusiasm before it crashes. The delay to Fall is probably good in the long run based on the beta reports, but I still was a bit disappointed.

City of Heroes: I haven't played in over a month. I like the game, but I don't like to solo, and my girlfriend, who is my usual duo partner in CoX, has been very busy, and so it just hasn't worked out lately. I like my characters, but I think CoX is destined to be my "second game" forever, even when I don't have a first.

Everquest 2: In a fit of gaming ennui, I actually bought and downloaded EQ2, complete with Kunark expansion, just to see what the talk was about. I was very excited about a lot of things about this game, and in the end two things killed it for me. One is that the client is buggy and crash-prone, which a 4-year old game has no right to be. The other is that the game is EXTREMELY arcane and not newbie-friendly in the least. I just couldn't see through the fog of war as it were; couldn't get over the initial learning curve, and it isn't grabbing me. It's very pretty for an MMO and I had fun with my Sarnak Wizard, but I won't be lasting past my free month in Norrath.

Conan: Comes out next month. I really don't care at all about this game at this point.

D&D 4th Ed.: In light of my new resolution to use this blog to talk about tabletop games as well as MMOs, D&D 4th Edition is the thing I'm most excited about. I've been reading the PHB Lite that some internet folks have compiled, lots of forum grazing and the like. I'm just very excited to get a fresh start on D&D and clear out the trash that has built up over the 7 or so years since 3rd first came out.

No comments: